# from Andreas J. Koenig
# on Saturday 27 March 2010 21:02:

>If you want to study the CPAN "checkpointed logs" solution running on
>the very CPAN for exactly one year now: File::Rsync::Mirror::Recent
>
>What needs to be done is really extremely trivial: rewrite it in C and
>convince the rsync people to incoude it in rsync code base. Just that.

Or even write an rsync daemon (or proxy perhaps) in Perl.  So, when the
client asks for a file, you can answer without checking the disk.  Can
something like that work with an unmodified client, or does the amount
of data needed to answer a naive client overwhelm any potential gain?

Unfortunately the protocol is not formally documented and the perl code
I've seen (File::RsyncP) seems to be lagging:

  http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2008-October/021912.html

If it's possible for a mirror operator to install something that will
immediately save them a ton of disk I/O without any changes upstream or
downstream, then the person who makes the decision (and does the work)
gets the benefit.  Scenarios where authors or downstream mirrors must
do something special are a tougher sell.

--Eric
--
Turns out the optimal technique is to put it in reverse and gun it.
--Steven Squyres (on challenges in interplanetary robot navigation)