To add my five cents, the thing that hurts me the most is that Perl is not an accepted language when it comes to the differnet new platforms.

Our work has adopted Drupal as a CMS and it's written in PHP. It would be awesome if it was written in Perl, but as someone else posted in this thread, we can pick up languages pretty easily (better than foreign languages, no? ;)) and be productive in a few weeks.

I'm also attracted to the new Android and iPad platforms, but there's no Perl there, either.

There's no Perl when it comes to creating client-side web applications (using JavaScript).

IMHO, Perl is getting relegated to server-side/backend applications and when more power is getting brought to the front, it's losing mindshare/focus.

- Jason

http://use.perl.org/~Purdy/journal/31280