Greetings,

I'm in the process of finishing a module for reading data from a Velleman PPS10 oscilloscope and would like some input on naming it. There already exist some modules that interface with other Velleman products and are under the Device::Velleman namespace. For example:

Device::Velleman::K8055::libk8055

I think Device::Velleman::PPS10 might be appropriate. I was also thinking of Oscilloscope::Velleman::PPS10 as a possibility. But there is no Oscilloscope:: namespace.

The oscilloscope sends series of packets (or frames) of data of the signal it's rendering on the screen. Each packet of data includes header information such as volts/division time/division, plus 256 samples of voltage that was used to render the trace on it's LCD screen. The data is complete so that a graphical oscilloscope software could render the same thing on the screen. The LCD screen has lower resolution and only displays half the samples the instrument measures, so there is value in grabbing this data by software. Here is what the module does. It reads the binary data using Device::SerialPort and parses into individual packets. It returns a hash containing the original binary data, the header info and the samples scaled to actual volts and sampling times. The calling application can then do whatever it wants with the data. The communication is one way and there is no way to control the oscilloscope over the serial line. I wrote a second module to display the traces by piping the trace data to gnuplot. The main program reads the oscilloscope data in a loop and calls a method on let's say an Oscilloscope::Gnuplot object to render each parsed packet. This was a cheap way of rendering the read data and works quite well. It's responsive on my old system and displays about 10 frames/s. I'm wondering if this second module might be worth posting to CPAN as well.

        thanks for any input.

        narbey