On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 02:29:07AM -0800, Linda A. Walsh wrote:

> The name has been dormant and unused for 11 years, yet it has
> been reserved?

This is how first-come first-served works.  He came first, so he got
dibs on the name. That he appears to have come to it by accident is
unfortunate, but irrelevant.

>                 If Inge wanted to use it for anything at any
> time, he could have done so as easily as asking.

For people to have to request namespaces in advance would impose an
intolerable burden on the PAUSE maintenance crew, a small burden on
authors, and lead to longer times between releases. Do you seriously
think that it would be a good idea for me to have had to *ask* for all
the module names in Number-Phone? There are 251 of them. And most of
them are auto-generated so unless I bother to look at what's there *I
don't know what they are*. Or there's Devel-CheckOS (58 modules), or
DBIx-Class (154 modules).

Now consider that there are 80-ish uploads to the CPAN every day, and
you'll realise how manual requests and approvals are not practical.

>                                                   Now when I
> investigate the usage and availability, I'm told it is reserved
> by someone who has not had minimal interest in it for 11 years.

I'm sure that if you ask nicely either INGY or the PAUSE gods will fix
things. SISYPHUS has already said that he'll do what he can.

> But you did say this discussion was framed in the culture of working
> code. The name has been reserved for 11 years w/o working code.

Don't confuse individual instances of code with a culture of working
code.

> I'm not trying to be difficult, but I find the idea that someone would
> have an unused, reserved name for 11 years w/no code behind it,
> but who's said to "own" such a bit un-perlish.
>
> If he wanted it, why didn't he ask for it or use it?
>
> Seems odd to have a reservation for such for 11 years and not use it.

It has already been explained to you that it was reserved by the
indexer, which thought it was working code. Now please, stop whining.

--
David Cantrell | semi-evolved ape-thing

You can't spell AWESOME without ME!