Yes, exactly what Aristotle says. You need to add Alien::unibilium to your
configure_requires, and your Alien::unibilium module needs to have either a
method or an import function that sets the
PKG_CONFIG_PATH<http://askubuntu.com/questions/210210/pkg-config-path-environment-variable>.
I had trouble getting this approach to work with MakeMaker because
MakeMaker doesn't invoke my Alien module except at the moment I run
Makefile.PL. This is why I use Module::Build.

David