Rainwater is always acid, as it has carbon dioxide dissolved in it. It can also
have oxides of sulphur and nitrogen from the burning of fossil fuels, internal
combustion engines, volcanoes, the action of lightning etc. The rainwater I
collect for my garden has a pH of 6.5, typically. Lower when Icelandic
volcanoes erupt.

It is quite instructive to read the "pH at source" on bottles of mineral water.
Deeside water, bottled about ten miles from here, has a "pH at source" of 6.1.
If you measure what's in the bottle, it varies. This latter is true of all
bottled water. Some bottled water can have a "pH at source" as high as 8.0.

Pure water, if you do a pukka job of demineralising it, should have a pH of 7.0
at STP. Leave it exposed to the air and it will drop, typically, to around 6.7
or so as it dissolves acid gases from the atmosphere. Water from your
dehumidifier will also be slightly acid. If you boil it, you get the gases out
and the pH should be much closer to 7.0, when cool. Now store it in full,
stoppered bottles and, if you're lucky, it will stay neutral. In theory. If you
don't get algae growing in it.

One of the other problems you may get, where you have hoses clamped onto
corrodible metal, is crevice corrosion. It could well be the main issue here.
If you are relying upon maintaining a passive film for corrosion inhibition,
you'll be out of luck. Most passive films require oxygen. That gets eaten up in
the initial corrosion, now there's no oxygen to regenerate the passive film, so
you get an auto-catalytic corrosion reaction, with the area between hose and
valve containing an increasingly acid fluid, with the metal under the hose
acting as the anode in a corrosion cell and dissolving, while the metal exposed
to the free fluid acts as the cathode. Have a look and you'll see that the
valve nozzle appears to have corroded from the outside (in contact with hose)
inwards.

Following recommended fluid mixtures and regular maintenance should minimise
the risk of problems like this occurring. Which reminds me... I used to be good
at changing hoses fairly frequently.  Can't say I've been as attentive in this
area in recent years as once I was.

Meanwhile, if he really can't source a replacement and this one still works,
but for the failure of the stub pipe nozzle, I'd be inclined to see if I could
fit a new stub pipe to replace the badly corroded one. Then flush the system
properly and fill with the Morgan-recommended, low-electrical conductivity,
inhibited cooling mixture.

Regards,
Owen.