427 badges can often be the mark of a kit car/replica! Very few genuine 427s
were sold in the UK, most were 289s.

Number plates I’m afraid are also no help. It’s exceedingly common to
re-register a  more recent Cobra kit car with an older and appropriate year
plate and then display black and white plates. Hangs head in shame but I know
someone who has done it!

Only quick checks I know involves either looking at the tax disc, or touching
it. Real ones are metal so feel cold, most replicas are fibreglass. But there
are a few replicas with metal bodies.

There was a real Cobra at Classics on the Common one year (a 289), but
countless kit ones!

rgds Martyn