hi chaps, well I had an old +8 years back when I was in my 30,s and i hated it, rover v8,s are great engines for sure but the are just wasted in a morgan, these days with sky high fuel costs and the green thing I think that v8,s will just become old hat, What I was looking for in a car this time round now at 55 was a car that would not cost a arm and leg to tax, insurance etc, so thats the german sports cars out, I did not wish to spend weeks on end cutting out rust sports so that takes out the old e types etc. I don,t like MG,s so it was back to morgan, I ended up with a 2 year old 4/4 with the ford sigma engine in, OK its underpowered even for a morgan, but it comes with low tax insurance and good mpg just over 45 mpg, so i can drive it without it eating my wallet, also V8,s are on all the dealers forecourts and not selling, and if its bad today it will be very bad tomorrow, the days of the big engine cars are coming to an end sad to say. michael

From: Tim Harris <t...@lambdapi.plus.com>
To: mogtalk2 <mogtalk2@listbox.com>
Sent: Monday, 13 August 2012, 12:17
Subject: Re: [mogtalk2] RE: Chips - non mog- now +8
Two things for which +8s are justly renowned: they sound absolutely gorgeous, and they have simply prodigious quantities of torque.

Two things about which you may (or may not) be mildly concerned: The handling is somewhat ponderous compared to the smaller cars, which is an advantage if highway cruising/touring is your bag, less so if you like flinging it round the twisties. The only other downside is the fuel consumption, which compared to the 45mpg+ of the newer +4s is a bit disastrous, with sub 20mpg not being uncommon when driven enthusiastically.

They are also enormously valuable these days, second hand prices are sky high - which may or may not be a good thing, depending on how fat your wallet is.

I've actually only driven one once, the feeling of being shoved along on an unstoppable wave of torque was really quite something. As Colin says, if you drive one once, you will know immediately what they are about.

Tim