Hans, thanks for posting the two patches!  I hate to look a gift horse
in the mouth, but I have a couple of concerns:

> Cause was that ext2/ext3 filesystems reserves 5 % for emergencies, ie
> root usage only.

This is not unique to ext2/ext3 filesystems - it's implemented on most
Unix filesystems, and as the OP said, the percentage of reserved space
is configurable.

Thus, I recommend that you make the "reservation compensation" a
configurable option, turned off by default, so that people who upgrade
to the new version aren't surprised by the change in behavior.

Likewise for the "swap space" patch - that too should be
an option, perhaps a more generic option like

   --include-filesystems <regexp>

which would check space on any filesystem whose description matched
the <regexp>.

        -- Ed