--On Wednesday, July 05, 2006 13:46:44 +0200 Felix Leiter
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> mon recognizes at 03:29:37 & 03:29:47 that the port 8080 is closed and
> calls the squid.alert at 03:29:47 but then nothing happens. I don't now
> where the misconfiguration is.
>
> I try to change the squid.alert-script to this:
>
># !/bin/sh
>#
>#
> /etc/init.d/squid start
>
> the acl for squid.alert is set to 755, this should also be alright.
>
> does anyone has any sugestions?
>
> kind regards

Felix,

What user is mon running as?  If its not running as root it probably cannot
restart squid.

What OS are you running.  Is the squid init script refusing to start squid
because it thinks its already running?  Have you tried running your script
by hand and seeing whether that restarts squid?

In your message the first line of the script is '# !/bin/sh', while it
should be '#!/bin/sh'.  i.e. no space between # and !.  But that might have
just been a typo in your email...

-David

I run mon with debian 3.1 stable and installed via "apt-get install mon".
I started the script by hand but only as root and it works perfect. the mon
deamon runs as root and all files in /etc/mon/ are also set to 755.
The space in the script is just typo-mismatch