Update from the trenches: I've traced this down to the newrelic_rpm agent

Noticed this is not the 1st time this has been brought up, since newrelic spins
up the stats collector in its own thread.

Attempted the (old) logger mutex monkeypatch mentioned in the unicorn docs
without luck. Noodled with various permutations of NewRelic::Agent.shutdown in
before/after_fork without success. NewRelic apparently has some compat issues
with bundler, but that didn't affect it, nor did switching to the plugin.

I'm running the latest newrelic_rpm agent (2.11.2) and the latest unicorn
(0.97.1).

I imagine this is contention over its logfile. Is there any low-hanging fruit I
should try?

I've also filed a bug with NewRelic:
http://support.newrelic.com/discussions/support/2577-newrelic-agentbundler-causing-stillborn-unicorn-processes?unresolve=true

-jamie