On Jul 14, 2010, at 12:00 AM, Lawrence Pit wrote:

> It appears unicorn rolls back by itself when it can't start the new master.
> Nice!
>
> Jamie also mentions to use the shared vendor/bundler_gems path.  Though I do
> use that in all my projects I'm not so sure it's wise to do when you can't
> afford any downtime.  I'll have to wait for unicorn v1.1.3 before I can test
> whether rolling back will indeed continue with unicorn v1.1.2 instead of
> v1.1.3 ;o

Hi Lawrence, why does the shared vendor/bundler_gems cause you downtime? From
not re-bundling during rollback?

FWIW I made that recommendation because I ran into issues with unicorns not
restarting correctly after running `cap deploy:cleanup`, since the `bundle
exec` launches a binary with a path like
/app/releases/201007125236/bin/unicorn, which goes missing after N deploys. I
haven't tested if this applies to more recent versions

Shared bundles are also significantly faster -- `bundle check || bundle
install` is ~1s for me vs. several minutes to totally rebundle

-jamie
http://jamiedubs.com
http://fffff.at