Yes mongrel_cluster handles the pid files. Also it does a better job
of stopping mongrels. The problem I had when I used monit and
mongrel_rails without mongrel_cluster was that if a mongrel used too
much memory monit woudl not be able to stop it sometimes and so
execution woudl fail and timeout.

        Using mongrel_clutser avoids this problem completely. Trust me I've
tried it all different ways. I did monit without mongrel_cluster for
a about a full month on close to 200 servers and then switched them
all to monit and mongrel_cluster and get much better results.

-Ezra