On Dec 14, 2005, at 4:36 AM, Andrés G. Aragoneses wrote:

Yes, I suppose it is the same problem because the last line runs but the
control never returns to shell.

Have you guys tried stracing the process?

Thanks for your feedback Miguel.

With the danger of sounding too ignorant, how do I do that? what will it tell me at the end? I can probably run a test briefly after I find that out.

With the danger of being more ignorant than you, I suppose Miguel is talking about http://www.liacs.nl/~wichert/strace/.

Great, I will try that I guess :-)

BTW, Carlos, in which distro can you reproduce this problem? I ask you this because, before trying to strace the process, I will clean all other possible causes. The first: I am running MandrivaLE2005 with a Mono package from Mandriva2006, which is a situation that I think is not supported but under some circumstances it can work. I will upgrade completely to Mandriva2006 and then I will try again...

I am using Gentoo 64bit. Mono has been installed on my system from the emerge packages, from the tar balls, from the binary packages, and recently I have been compiling from SVN. I am pretty sure that doesn't make a difference as to whether it breaks or not. My programs that don't exit are not as simple as just running some stuff on Main, instead they use a lot of threads (all the ones I have control of background), and I use a lot of remoting with a lot of Marhsal By Ref objects with an "infinite" lifetime. I would think my problem lies on the use of one of those two but who knows, also sometimes my programs do exit but I can't tell what the difference was.

Let me know if you figure out something :-)

--Carlos

Regards,

        Andrew  [ knocte ]