Mathieu Fenniak wrote:
On 9-Dec-04, at 1:31 AM, Dr Robert Sanderson wrote:

Slashdotting takes out Apache, and I would put Apache 2.X at orders of magnitude better than any MOO softcode http server.

I think this is a bit of an exaggeration. I know of quite a few Apache servers that have survived a slashdotting. The connection bandwidth is most often the cause of death - low bandwidth leads to slow connections, slow connections leads to many hanging Apache threads/processes/whatever-depending-upon-configuration, and then the problem quickly grows to kill the server.

That aside, I'd agree with the point here that an HTTP server in the MOO probably couldn't handle a slashdotting. Most often the content is being generated dynamically, the MOO isn't the speediest thing in the world, and it's limited to a single process. I'd bet most MOO servers feel it even when rude search engine spiders hit them with many simultaneous requests.

As someone who runs an Apache server which regularly survives the most extreme form of slashdotting, and just in normal operation pumps a few hundred Mbit/s, I would agree with that. There is just no beating something which does sendfile().

        -hpa