http://jsfiddle.net/Wk2BX/1/

The element you are trying to dissolve has to be within an element that is
display:none. I've done some more testing and the effect only happens when
the element you want to dissolve is in a form tag within the display:none
element!!

I just tried this out on BrowserStakc XP and IE8 and if the form tag is
there it fails with a javascript error trying to reference a this object
that IE thinks doesnt exist. Without the form tag everything is fine.

Even more odd.

--

---