From: mootools-users@googlegroups.com [mailto:mootools-users@googlegroups.com]
On Behalf Of Tim Wienk
Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 2014 12:38 AM
To: mootools-users@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [Moo] Regarding new changes to MooTools?

Hello,

One of the very important things all MooTools developers realise about Core and
More, is that a very large amount of products they're used in are older
products that are in maintenance mode and should need to keep working. All
changes to Core and More are made with that in mind, so all changes are as
compatible as possible.

MooTools has historically used a not-very-semver approach to versioning, and
it's still not using semver right now, but it's a lot more controlled than it
was in the 1.3-and-before era.

The way you can look at it currently is:
generation.major.minor

When a major version number increases, we do our best to do two
things: 1. include a compatibility "workaround", so you can build a version
1.n+1 which is still compatible (you will find this in the builder), and 2.
list the incompatible changes in a blog post. In cases where 1 isn't possible,
we make sure we do 2 even more vigorously.

In general, because MooTools Core's API and functionality has stabilised over a
lot of years, the changes are mostly to stay in line with native
implementations of similar or the same functionality. In most cases these are
only minor changes, and upgrading is easy enough so you can stop using the
compatibility builds.

The current Core version is 1.5.1, which by definition has a completely
compatible API to 1.5.0. (More is 1.5.1 as well, and works with any Core 1.5.x,
for that reason.) The changes from 1.4.5 are on the blog
(http://mootools.net/blog/2014/05/19/mootools-1-5-is-here),
the backward incompatible changes are the first few bullets in the list you'll
find there.

(TLDR:) From all this, you have probably already gathered the answer to your
question, but to answer it directly: recent changes may have changed subtleties
in the public API, but nothing has really changed about how to use the
functions or property names. Especially the examples you mention are things we
very much try to keep stable.

Anticipating a next question: the "generation" part of the version number is
quite useless right now, it's pretty much stuck at 1. Yes, there's been talks
about a 2.x version. Yes, a lot of things have been tried (there's an inactive
2.0wip branch with ideas from 2012, there was Prime for a bit, etc.) No, there
is no concrete plan or roadmap for 2.x. One thing is sure, though, if or when
there is a 2.x, versioning will turn semver from there on, and it'll just be
"major.minor.patch".

Kind regards (and best wishes for the new year),

Tim.

--

---

---