Hi,
long time user of Mootools here.

*Why I still use Mootools*
For years and years I've used Mootools, in the beginning to be able to
overcome browser quirks/differences, and now because it's still the only
library that seamlessly integrates with vanilla javascript.
The core idea behind Mootools, which has been used as a baseball bat
against mootools, has saved the library for me.

Instead of having to upgrade to new module packagers and weird
ever-changing syntax and idioms I've been able to just ease into new
javascript API:s and solutions without having a javascript library work
against me. While people used to complain about Mootools extending the DOM
I always felt that Mootools saved the DOM.

While lots of my peers have moved on to using React I can't help to feel
like I'm already one step beyond all the new problems that React users are
facing. I've looked at Vue.js but again I can't really see where I would
improve over controlling the DOM via Mootools. The abstractions of these
engines really cements how applications needs to be built and you can't
migerate code between these kind of solutions. At the same time turning a
Mootools-powered system into a Progressive Web App (PWA) took less than one
day.

*What I would like from a new slimmer version of Mootools*
With all that said I'm greatful for every new core javascript feature that
brings vanilla javascript closer to Mootools and if there ever is any new
versions of Mootools I would like it to close the gap between Mootools and
vanilla by kicking out code supporting old browsers.

I'm considering cloning Mootools for my own projects, dropping everything I
don't need, and replace/deprecate any implementations that now have proper
browser support.

Has anyone else had these thoughts? What frameworks have you migrated to
and why?
If you can't argue for using Mootools can you at least argue against using
vanilla javascript?

Best Regards
Tor Viktorsson

PS.
I'm currently writing mostly Node.js server backends that talk to single
page javascript clients running nothing but REST powered by Mootools
Request that I have extended as shown below.
I also use the Class.Thenable utillity class alot clientside instead of
using Promises at the moment because I like that I can reset and reuse
Thenables. These days Promises has better browser support so perhaps I will
give up reset/reuse-ability if that increases performance but I haven't
proven that yet.

Request.REST = new Class({
  Extends: Request,
    secure: true
  },
  initialize: function(options){
    options.urlEncoded = false
    options.emulation = false
    this.parent(options)

    var encoding = (this.options.encoding) ? '; charset=' +
this.options.encoding : ''
    Object.append(this.headers, {
      'Accept': 'application/json',
      'X-Request': 'JSON',
      'Content-Type': 'application/json' + encoding
    })
  },
  success: function(text){
    var json
    try {
      json = this.response.json = JSON.decode(text, this.options.secure)
    } catch (error){
      this.fireEvent('error', [text, error])
      return
    }