carson was great, billy crystal had his years, even ellen degeneres was a good MC and her comedic delivery made jokes funny... jon stewart was absolutely the wrong choice.

jeff

On Feb 25, 2008, at 4:45 PM, Tom Martin wrote:

 good post Doug - Carson was my fave
Doug Taylor wrote:
I’m not a fan of the Oscar broadcast. I like knowing who won, in real-time, but don’t like having to watch.

I used to receive tickets to the Oscars, and attended from the early 80’s to the early 90’s, but even then I didn’t watch. I’d spend most of the night in the bar area downstairs in the Dorothy Chandler or less comfortably in the lobby areas of the Shrine chatting with winners and nominees who didn’t return to their seats after their category. We’d watch it on TV and tell stories. It was great fun.

Anyway, the broadcast is difficult for me to watch. In the days when Johnny Carson was hosting it wasn’t so bad because he would almost always do something to entertain the crowd during the commercial breaks. That was worth staying in your seat for.

DBT
Profile
From: MoPo List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Movielegends
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2008 12:07 PM
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Subject: Re: [MOPO] Oscars - Ethan Coen

I personally thought the entire Academy Awards show was DEAD!
If it wasn't for those snippets of past Oscar ceremonies, I would have fallen asleep.

It definately lacked the "pizzazz" of past years.

My 2 cents.
Kevin/Movielegends

Doug Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Ethan Coen wins my vote for the two all-time best acceptance speeches.

DBT
Profile
Visit the MoPo Mailing List Web Site at www.filmfan.com