 From: Kirby McDaniel <ki...@movieart.net>
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Sent: Friday, 3 February 2012, 5:08
Subject: Re: [MOPO] West Side Story/ Caroff

Great post, Richard.

Thanks,
Kirby

On Feb 2, 2012, at 5:31 PM, Richard Evans wrote:

Stan at Posteritati posted a while back that it's Joe Caroff and not Bass who
was responsible for the West Side Story poster artwork.
>(Info came directly from Caroff to their publisher.)
>

>A former colleague of Caroff's has just posted on NSFGE in a relevant thread
>and thought it worth reposting here for anyone who missed the original post.
>

>Also some further accreditation contained in it:
>

>Joe Caroff — West Side Story Poster
>

>I came across a conversation regarding The West Side Story movie poster
>controversy “Bass or Caroff” yuku.com.
>
>I can tell you without a doubt that it was designed by Joseph Caroff.
Joe and I were partners for 20 years. He had an ongoing relationship
with UA and art director David Chasman (for whom he designed the
original 007 logo for a press release. It was so successful it was
picked up as the film logo.). I have seen this mix up on many sites. Joe
 kept a very low profile but he is responsible for some of the great
film posters of the 20th century. Cabaret, A Hard Days Night… During our
 time together we designed The Last Temptation of Christ poster and
opening film title sequence for Martin Scorsese and The Handmaides Tale
for Volker Schlondorff.