Hi gav, I'm with you ...

My (pesonal) focus is going to be different.
All together now "we're all individuals !".

Unless the "backs-against-the-wall dig-for-victory" mentality appeals
to more people as a call to action (different stories will appeal to
different people) it doesn't have to be cast that way - as survival.

You were right already, as I've already said, with sustainability
rather than survival as the catchphrase. Everything in your survival
list applies to the sustainable strategy, and the economic downturn is
just one environmental variable on the road to that strategy.

Only two points I would make on your list ...

(1) We can't all literally garden for our own self-sufficiency - we
all have different skills and "competitive advantages" ... which mean
some of us really should sew clothes, make jam, build houses, etc
while others dig. Basic evolutionary economics long before numbers or
money clouded the issue. We should all "tend our own garden" in the
figurative buddhist sense.

(2) The issue missing is "governance" how with minimal interference on
personal freedoms and actions we achieve value of common & public
goods. I don't believe free-for-all anarchy will be the best solution.

Spookily, my boss, in the (big profit-making) company I have just
joined this month, has just handed me a book considered compulsory
reading, all employees having been bought a copy by the CEO.

"The Hot Topic" by Gabrielle Walker and David King of which ...
Al Gore says "In a world full of misinformation The Hot Topic is a
beacon of clarity" ...
James Lovelock says "It should become the authoritative statement on
[sustainability] for years to come."

Regards
Ian