Hi DMB and all

More clarifications:

DMB: "The first great pitfall from which such a radical standing by experience will save us is an artificial [fake!] conception of the relations between knower and known. Throughout the history of philosophy the subject and its object have been treated as absolutely discontinuous entities; and thereupon the presence of the latter to the former, or the 'apprehension' by the former of the latter, has assumed a paradoxical character which all sorts of theories had to be invented to overcome. Representative theories put a mental 'representation,' 'image,' or 'content' into the gap, as a sort of intermediary [traditional empiricists like Hume]. Common-sense theories left the gap untouched, declaring our mind able to clear it by a self-transcending leap [naive realism]. Transcendentalist theories left it impossible to traverse by finite knowers, and brought an Absolute in to perform the saltatory act [Kant and Hegel]. All the while, in the very bosom of the finite experience, every conjunction required to make the relation intelligible is given in full."

DM: Pretty impressive explanation of SOM, nothing to do with what I am suggesting though. If you think my suggestion does not work, or is less impressive than keeping pre-conceptual SQ out of the MOQ please just say so and explain your reasons and values, etc, but my proposal also avoids SOM, it is just as easy for me to say your version of the MOQ lets SOM by the back door as I think I have shown, I don't really want to do that but what is source for the goose... I see some purity in the experience=experience position, but I think the anti-science flaw is too problematic, so I offer an alternative, how does the Dan/DMB MOQ describe science in non-realist and anthropocentric terms? I have some idea what that looks like, but I don't like it too much. Whether Pirsig supports the Dan/DMB MOQ I am not 100% sure but maybe he does, if so I hope he will change his mind. Where do others stand?

DMB: By contrast, radical empiricism says, "that subjects and objects are not the starting points of experience. Subjects and objects are secondary.

DM: I agree, subjects and objects are probably not even a good idea, they are certainly flawed (yes not floored, I am a moron sometimes) and result in the errors of positivism, physicalism, Kantianism, reductionism, materialism, elimiativism, idealism, idealist anthropocentrism, non-realism and uncritical realism, etc

DMB: They are concepts derived from something more fundamental which he [William James] described as 'the immediate flux of life which furnishes the MATERIAL to our later reflection with its conceptual categories.' In this basic flux of experience, the distinctions of reflective thought, as as those between consciousness and content, subject and object, mind and matter, have not yet emerged in the forms which we make them. Pure experience [DQ] cannot be called either physical or psychical; it logically precedes this distinction."

DM: OK you say flux and I say flux and patters, DQ and SQ. You say Quality is DQ, I say it is DQ/patterns. You say conceptual SQ, I say both conceptual and pre-conceptual SQ. James finds MATERIAL in the flux I find only patterns. I say concepts are derived from something more fundamental which is the SQ experience in the overall sea of DQ experience, you only see DQ experience. Then you go on to talk about SQ conceptions as being part of experience. This is a fine difference (not MOQ versus SOM unless you are deaf and dumb) but important and I want to hang non-SOM realism on this difference, you think realism without SOM is impossible, I say that is an idealist trap, and idealism sounds like a fall back into SOM assumptions to me. You see only DQ and build SQ on it. I see DQ and SQ as co-creative, I experience DQ as a lack of SQ, and SQ as the temporary negation of DQ, I see DQ/SQ as a yin-yang pair that co-emerge from experience. DQ and SQ emerge from our experience they precede any distinction about the physical or psychical, you only see DQ precedes, I think both SQ and DQ precedes any other distinction including, especially including SOM ones. You seem afraid of SQ as if it implies SOM, well I think MOQ banished SOM with the DQ and SQ distinction, you want to stick only with DQ. Sure DQ is undefinable so it is easier to defend it from SOM, that is your purity, I suggest SQ patterns have nothing to do with SOM and I think this suggestion can be defended and can embrace n on-SOM realism.

DMB: The status of subjects and objects is hereby reduced from the starting points of experience to concepts derived from experience. Radical empiricists maintain that all concepts and all abstractions are derived from experience and are true and good only to the extent that they function within the ongoing process of living. But this rejection of SOM is also about solving philosophical problems. Radical empiricism saves us from having to invent a fancy metaphysical theory as to the relations between subjects and objects - this is the same as the relation between phenomenal reality and the noumenal realm of things in themselves. By treating subjects and objects as "absolutely discontinuous entities", these theories are concerned with overcoming fictional gap between experience and reality. Ironically, the real "reality" in each case is actually a concept invented and posited to explain experience. "Of course it's just an analogy. Everything is an analogy. But the dialecticians don't know that." But for Pirsig there is no gap between experience and reality. Experience IS reality, the primary empirical. Likewise James says, "experience and reality amount to the same thing". Everything you need to make the relations between knower and known intelligible is already right there in experience. That's where these concepts came from in the first place. It's a bit paradoxical, I know, but the idea that there is a reality prior to experience and which makes experience possible is just an idea. When this idea is mistaken for more than that, it become a primary reality in itself, an actual ontological starting point of reality. That is what it means to reify an idea. That is what it means to be under the spell of SOM. The following three quotes might help to break the spell. It may or may not help to click the heels of your ruby slippers three times as you read them.

DM: Overall I entirely agree with this, I would change the language very very slightly, but the logic is right. But one part of experience that won't go away and we have to make sense of is that there was a reality before human beings came along, it was not experienced by human beings but it clearly existed, this is a good idea, and we can have this idea without turning it into any for of SOM I suggest, let's call it critical non-SOM realism. We can say near to nothing about this reality, all SOM must be ditched as unsupported, but that there is such a non-human reality is well evidenced in our experience because our experiences is finite and has gaps (mummy leaves the house and then comes back again, mummy was alive before we were born, and dinosaurs were alive when no humans were), these give us good reasons and good ideas, it is a reason of the gaps if you like because our knowledge is always incomplete and gappy, but it also evolves and some gaps get reduced, like when we understand that water and ice are well related patterns not unrelated ones, but this is not a gap between appearances and reality just gaps in how we link together the endless unfolding patterns of SQ.

"Phædrus felt that at the moment of pure Quality perception, or not even perception, at the moment of pure Quality, there is no subject and there is no object. There is only a sense of Quality that produces a later awareness of subjects and objects. At the moment of pure quality, subject and object are identical. This is the tat tvam asi truth of the Upanishads, but it's also reflected in modern street argot. ``Getting with it,'' ``digging it,'' ``grooving on it'' are all slang reflections of this identity. It is this identity that is the basis of craftsmanship in all the technical arts. And it is this identity that modern, dualistically conceived technology lacks." (Robert Pirsig, ZAMM pp. 290-91)

DM: Sure, and we can Zen our arrows into their targets, but only because we experience both SQ and DQ.

"‘Pure experience’ is the name which I gave to the immediate flux of life which furnishes the material to our later reflection with its conceptual categories. Only newborn babes, or men in semi-coma from sleep, drugs, illnesses, or blows, may be assumed to have an experience pure in the literal sense of a that which is not yet any definite what, tho’ ready to be all sorts of whats; full both of oneness and of manyness, but in respects that don’t appear; changing throughout, yet so confusedly that its phases interpenetrate and no points, either of distinction or of identity can be caught. Pure experience in this state is but another name for feeling or sensation. But the flux of it no sooner comes than it tends to fill itself with emphases, and these salient parts become identified and fixed and abstracted; so that experience now flows as if shot through with adjectives and nouns and prepositions and conjunctions. Its purity is only a relative term, meaning the proportional amount of unverbalized sensation which it still embodies." (William James, "THE THING AND ITS RELATIONS", p. 40)

DM: One and many, DQ and SQ, can't put it better myself, Pirsig is pretty smart. Although one and many is a pretty clear distinction I'd say, sure it is hard to get any handle on the many without words and concepts, but hey, we somehow get the idea that there is a many that we need to start tracing the cuts and naming and conceptualising. Sure naming and conceptualising really defines the cuts, and there's more than one way to cut your chicken, but you gotta have some idea that cutting is possible and their might be chickens to cut to ever get started on making conceptual SQ. Sensations, bodies, brains, get all cut up long before language and concepts come along and add clarity and definition. That's how you get fingers and eyes, these organic patterns do a whole lot of cutting up of reality before we reach the non unconscious level of cutting up called language and concepts. Take this example, this experience gets measured as one line being shorter than the other long before we add any conscious concepts to it, but both lines are the same size, SQ at work unconsciously I'd say:

http://psychology.about.com/od/sensationandperception/ss/muller-lyer-illusion.htm

DMB: "the leading edge of reality, is no longer an irrelevant offshoot of structure. Value is the predecessor of structure. It's the preintellectual awareness that gives rise to it. Our structured reality is preselected on the basis of value, and really to understand structured reality requires an understanding of the value source from which it's derived. …Reality isn't static anymore. It's not a set of ideas you have to either fight or resign yourself to. It's made up, in part, of ideas that are expected to grow as you grow, and as we all grow, century after century. With Quality as a central undefined term, reality is, in its essential nature, not static but dynamic. " (Robert Pirsig, ZAMM p. 284)

DM: I agree experience is more dynamic than static, take a great painting or work of music, every time you return to it you find more in it, the SQ is endless and never ending and potentially open to change, such is DQ, it is dominant, nonetheless SQ exists in our experience and unfolds from it, Pirsig fails to emphasise this, but we can't expect him to do all the heavy lifting can we, he has done enough for us. By the way I am not changing my position on DQ, but it is clear that many previous comments have misunderstood how I feel about DQ.

DMB: In the first one Pirsig says there is no subject and object in the moment of pure Quality, but that "sense of Quality" is what "produces a later awareness of subjects and objects".

DM: Sure but we can probably do without subjects and objects all together, let's stop going on about them this is an MOQ forum is it not? It is not me who keeps bringing them up!

DMB: Similarly, in the second quote James says pure experience "is not yet any definite what" but it's "ready to be all sorts of whats".

DM: Yep all sort of ready, I call this pre-conceptual SQ, I can't see how DQ can be ready, it has no patterns, it needs a little splash of pre-conceptual SQ I say,

DMB: There are no such distinctions or identities in the flux of pure experience itself but It is what "furnishes the material" for our conceptual categories. It is the DQ that becomes static quality as soon as you define it, as soon as the salient parts of experience "become identified and fixed and abstracted".

DM: Sure DQ is primary, its nothing really, but you are fetishising concepts if you think SQ is impossible without them. Do you think concept free monkeys and babies can spot that they have something on the end of their legs that are the same and something on the end of their arms that are a bit different? All pre-conceptual patterns I'd say, unless you want to say that all hearing, seeing, smelling,etc contains some sort of built in concepts. I just call this pre-conceptual SQ.

DMB: But the primary empirical reality we're talking about here is referred to as a "flux," as "dynamic," as "the leading edge of reality" because it is not structured. It is "the predecessor of structure".

DM: Pretty sure science says that all our senses look pretty structured, its a miracle we can recognise the DQ, but luckily we can, bad philosophy and science often talk like there is no DQ, this is the big error MOQ can save us from, but if this is done at the expense of SQ we loose touch with all the potential structure there is in experience and there goes the baby and the bath water.

DMB: Our "structured reality" is conceptual and static and you want that to be ordered and structured but, unlike SOMers down through the ages, they do not suppose that the structure of our thought mirrors the structure of reality or corresponds to a pre-existing structure. We add this structure. These are man-made structures and they serve human purposes.

DM: Yes we approach this all via man made ideas and culture, but bodies and sense organs are not man made, they are full of structure and structure out experience, dent this and you fall into idealism, sure experience is primary and we only find out about the structural function of organic patterns like sense organs and bodies and brains via our investigations and reasoning but they are still there independently structuring patterns out of the flux without human conscious conceptualisation. You can't see or accept that then you are an idealist or a creationist.

DMB: DQ is the primary empirical reality and the source of all these conceptual structures but DQ is negatively defined by exactly that. It is neither conceptual nor structured. It is unpatterned and undifferentiated Quality.

DM: Sure that is why we need SQ in experience to explain what concepts are referring to, they do not refer to objects but simply to patterns of experience.

DMB: There are no subject and objects, no Forms, no substances, no things-in-themselves. All of that comes later because those are ideas, products of reflections, concepts derived from experience for philosophical purposes and not primary realities of their own.

DM: Sure, but patterns and forms are within our experience not something outside of it. If there was only DQ in experience what is conceptual SQ talking about, pointing at?

DMB: "Any intellectually conceived object is always in the past and therefore unreal. Reality is always the moment of vision before the intellectualization takes place. There is no other reality. This preintellectual reality is what Phædrus felt he had properly identified as Quality. Since all intellectually identifiable things must emerge from this preintellectual reality, Quality is the parent, the source of all subjects and objects." (Robert Pirsig, ZAMM p. 247)

DM: Sure all things intellectual are an embellishment of primary reality, yet perhaps we are better saying that all emerging SQ is fully real, why not? But the idea that there is no pattern, no structure, no form to be found in experience (not out in the world that is an idea that comes later when we see how full of gaps our experience is) just falls down if you give it any scrutiny, however pure and amazing an idea it seems to be. Sure we can find nothing underneath SQ, under SQ there can only be DQ. DQ is the context in which we can try to make sense of SQ, but SQ is not made by us (you anthropocentrists), rather we find ourselves emerging out of DQ and SQ and we find the world emerges from this SQ and DQ too, and they are really one, in experience there is both self and world they are one, how can you draw a line between them, here I am, here is the sky, where does the sky end and I begin? where do I end and the sky begin? But there is something beyond this here and now, beyond the horizon, and you just know there is more to be discovered. Being alive is not to be an object experiencing an object, it is just being alive, being alive is being this experience of this earth and this sky, experience is neither subject nor object, it is a being-in-the-world (one word).

DMB: "In this basic flux of experience, the distinctions of reflective thought, such as those between consciousness and content, subject and object, mind and matter, have not yet emerged in the forms which we make them. Pure experience cannot be called either physical or psychical: it logically precedes this distinction." (Robert Pirsig, LILA ch. 29)

DM: Yes, experience is just the content, no subject, no object, but it has content, I think we should call this content SQ, surely DQ is contentless, it is flux. DMB and Dan seem to think DQ is a flux with content, odd use of the word flux. Up to you really do you prefer pre-conceptual SQ, pretty sensible notion, or flux with content? -bit odd. Looks like you accept the content, Pirsig too, so why not call it SQ, I thought that is what the MOQ did, but things seem to have changed. Why is that? Maybe contact with universities and the wider world where SOM is dominant is making the MOQ misshape itself into a sort of idealism as this fits into SOM or even postmodernism more easily? Yes MOQ needs to promote DQ and bring out the DQ in experience, but no need to sacrifice SQ for this cause I suggest. Of course there is no distinction between content and self in the MOQ, it is all content, the content of experience, called SQ and DQ, a monism of DQ is nothing, without SQ what can DQ mean? Yin and yang together I say. If there was only DQ there would be nothing, sure we all come from nothing and we all return to nothing, and we can only make sense of actuality in relation to nothing, but there is something acting in actuality, it prods us, we not not what it is or what it wants to say, but we can describe the little waves and patterns we see in the void, they come and go, they are ghostly, hard to see and uncertain, but if there were no waves on the sea we would not know there was any sea would we?

Hope that clarifies a few confusions set up by my opponents.

NB: Many thanks as you have greatly helped clarify my thinking on these issues, which is what I come here for.

NB: Chaos and order, getting the balance:

http://www.utne.com/environment/life-rules-ze0z1304zcalt.aspx?newsletter=1&utm_content=05.03.13+politics&utm_campaign=2013+ENEWS&utm_source=iPost&utm_medium=email

Regards
David M