For Bo, here is something i found that might illustrate some of the
parallels to what pirsig has in the MOQ and some of the physics research of
david bohm

His textbook on quantum theory, written while still at Princeton, became a
classic for its clarity, always relying on physical argument and
philosophical principles to explain the quantum world, rather than falling
back on abstract mathematical formulae. Later, at Bristol University in
England, Bohm and his student Yakir Aharonov demonstrated a new and
important way in which the quantum world transcends that of classical
mechanics. The two physicists showed that an electron is affected by the
presence of an electrical field even when, according to classical physics,
it is totally shielded from that field. This effect, they argued, is central
to quantum mechanics, implying that even quite distant objects can affect
quantum processes. These nonlocal correlations have nothing to do with
traditional forms of interaction (such as by fields or the exchange of
particles); rather, they demand new concepts that go beyond the ideas of
separation and distance. The prestigious scientific journal Nature
editorialized that Aharanov and Bohm's work was worthy of a Nobel prize.

Bohm had also reformulated the paradox proposed by Einstein, Boris Podolsky,
and Nathan Rosen (EPR) that attempted to retain "independent elements of
reality" within the quantum world. In Bohm's version the meaning of this
paradox became clearer and helped blaze the trail for what would later
become an experimental test.

This experimental test was proposed by physicist John Bell in his famous
theorem. But Bell himself had been led to develop this theorem after
encountering Bohm's hidden variables version of quantum theory-in Bohm's
1952 papers, Bell later said, he had seen "the impossible done." Throughout
the later decades of his life, Bohm sought a new order in physics. He
proposed that the reality we see about us (the explicate order) is no more
than the surface appearance of something far deeper (the implicate order).
According to Bohm, the ground of the cosmos is not elementary particles but
pure process, a flowing movement of the whole. Within this implicate order,
Bohm believed, one could resolve the Cartesian split between mind and
matter, or between brain and consciousness.

Bohm's notion of an implicate order extended his reputation outside the
bounds of physics and drew the interest of writers, artists, psychologists,
and philosophers. It was to this audience that Bohm directed much of his
later work, lecturing and writing on the essential wholeness of nature and
experience, deploring the fragmentation of our modern world, discussing the
nature of creativity, and exploring the nature of thought and the
structuring processes of the psyche.

So deeply have his ideas permeated the general culture that they are
becoming part of the shared way we look at the world. Their influence can be
found in areas as diverse as education, psychology, art, and literary
criticism, appearing even in novels. Bohm became something of a guru to
those seeking renewal through education and psychotherapy, or seeking to
build new communities or understand the internal dynamics of society.

In spite of his considerable scientific reputation, Bohm did not always see
eye to eye with his contemporaries. The major controversy of his life lay in
his rejection of the conventional interpretation of quantum theory. After
his contact with Einstein, Bohm proposed an alternative theory in which
electrons are guided along paths by what he called the quantum potential.
This "hidden variable" theory so offended the scientific establishment that
it was met with not only rejection but sheer silence, which gave Bohm
considerable pain. Although he went on to develop the theory further, moving
away from strict determinism into something far more subtle, his work
remained tainted as that of a scientific maverick .

Throughout the 1970s and 1980s Bohm went ever deeper into the quantum
theory, seeking to develop a theory of prespace that would make connections
to Einstein's relativity. It was during this period that Bohm moved away
from his earlier materialistic position. Attempting to remove the
distinction between mind and matter; he proposed that information, like
matter and energy, is one of the basic principles of nature; it is not a
subjective assessment but an objective activity in the world. The more
broadly his ideas ranged, however, the more rigid and hidebound the
scientific community became.

At the end of his life, Bohm remained a scientific rebel. He rejected the
current fashion of seeking closure in some "grand unified theory," in favor
of a vision of nature's inexhaustibility, of a world of infinite levels.
Bohm's world was holistic, as holistic as the unanalyzable interconnections
of the quantum or his unified vision of matter and mind. Holism extended, he
believed, into human psychology and society itself. He dreamed of developing
a group mind, and spent his last years organizing dialogue circles in its
pursuit.

Bohm lived for the transcendental; his dreams were of the light that
penetrates. From early childhood he learned to escape into the world of the
mind and the imagination. Yet his life was accompanied by great personal
pain and periods of crippling depression. He never achieved wholeness in his
own personal life, and the fruits of that life, which are still with us,
were gained only at great sacrifice.