Hi Marco:

> > Most
> > humantarians talk a good game, but rarely practice what they preach.
>
> Indeed a good reason to be anti-humanitarian....

No, a good reason not to trust those who boast about their
humanitarism.

> > Pirsig railed against Rigel in Chapter 7 of LIla:
> >
> > "The ones who go posing as moralists are the worst. Cost-free
> > morals. Full of great ways for others to improve without any expense to
> > themselves. There's an ego thing in there, too.They use the morals to
> > make someone else look inferior and that way look better themselves."
> >

> So our Leftist Andrea is like the Conservative Rigel !

In this regard, you bet.

> Anyway Platt, as I wrote once, here in Italy even the atheists are catholic.
> When we say that we put human life above everything we are probably meaning
> something a guy called Jesus used to say many years ago. I'm not very religious,
> but I've always read in the MOQ a metaphysical explanation that human life, that
> is source of intellect, is above everything.

No, not when a free society is threatened. Reread Chap. 13 of Lila for
occasions when war (the sacrifice of human life) is justified. Also note
the following quote from Chap. 3:

"Of all the contributions America has made to the history of the world,
the idea of freedom from a social  hierarchy has been the greatest. It
was fought for in the American Revolution and confirmed in the Civil
War."

Let us not forget that many Americans and Italians gave their lives for
freedom that the MOQ calls the "highest good."

Why many Europeans do not hold freedom above security is a mystery,
especially after suffering for so many centuries under totaliarian
regimes of religious zealots, corrupt kings and ruthless dictators.

But, I digress. As a humanitarian, what have you done (voluntarily) to
alleviate the suffering of the Nigerians? Or even the Serbs next door?

Platt