Hi Gerhard:

Just a quick note to let you know that you are not alone in questioning
the utility of the MOQ. We've seen that there are almost as many
interpretations of  the MOQ as there are contributors to this group. I've
been around since the beginning and offhand can't remember any time
there was unanimous agreement on any issue.

So to your question, "Are we all hypocrites, using the MOQ as a
fortification for our beliefs?" I would--from the written evidence for all to
see--regrettably have to answer "Yes."

If this be true, the MOQ has a ready answer: Our static social and
intellectual patterns cannot be breached by intellectual argument
alone. The familiar patterns are simply too deeply etched in stone.

To break up the patterns (according to the MOQ) one must be willing to
expose himself to the sometimes weak DQ force. Just how one can do
that has never been spelled out--the major criticism of the MOQ leveled
by John Beasley in his new essay on the Forum.

So, like you, I have my doubts. But this group is so intelligent on
balance that by the simple expedient of talking things through I fully
expect us to collectively arrive at a higher plane of understanding
eventually. I just hope I'm still around when it happens. (-:

Platt