Dear all,

I completely agree with the general consensus that the research question
should inform the landmark sampling. As the first step in a morphometric
study, landmark sampling is definitely worth thinking about deeply since,
as discussed here and in many previous studies, it can generate spurious
and unintended artifacts in alignment and downstream analyses. It's
important to consider "quality over quantity" at both the individual
landmark level and also at the level of the overall landmark configuration.
For example, landmarks should be fairly evenly distributed on a structure
of interest to avoid "Pinocchio effect" where isolated landmarks from the
centroid end up having more impact on the alignment because the
optimalization is based on *squared* distance from the centroid.
Alternatively, one can use the Resistant Fit alignment to mitigate this
issue.

Another note--my landmark sampling study shows that adding certain
landmarks to a subsampled data set can sometimes decrease the overall fit
to the full data set with complete set of landmarks. This result further
supports the "quality over quantity" idea where choosing poor landmarks can
lead to spurious characterization of shape variation, at least with respect
to the full data set. Put in another way, adding more landmarks does not
guarantee convergence to the full shape characterization (although it does
typically converge from personal observation).

Happy landmarking,
Aki