From: katz.w...@gmail.com [mailto:katz.w...@gmail.com] On Behalf Of David Katz
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2018 11:48 AM
To: Adams, Dean [EEOBS] <dcad...@iastate.edu>
Cc: Christy Anna Hipsley <chips...@unimelb.edu.au>; MORPHMET
<morphmet@morphometrics.org>
Subject: Re: [MORPHMET] relative positions of landmark partitions in
integration tests - how important?

I read Christy's question a little differently, and requiring some
clarification.

First, Dean, doesn't Dean & Felice fix the angle between jaw and cranium so
that you can subject a craniomandibular dataset to a common GPA, which at the
PLS step has the benefit of preserving relative size relationships between the
two structures? On the other hand, it's not clear if Christy obtained landmarks
in a way that allows her to do this as easily. For instance, her sample may
have had crania and mandibles dissected out and landmarked separately, in which
case she subject the cranium and mandible to separate GPAs. Christy?

If GPA was performed separately for the cranium and mandible, then couldn't
Christy's issue simply be that cranium and mandible have differently oriented
principal axes (as determined by gpagen)?

Also, Christy, are you using the "plot.pls" function (warpgrids=TRUE) for
plotting? If so, then I think one option would be to make shapes=TRUE in that
function. This will give you an output that includes the coordinates of the
extreme shapes (I assume as p*3 matrices). After that, you just have to choose
which two columns from crania extremes and which two columns from mandible
extremes provide you with common cranial and mandibular views. You can then
make 2D plots your landmarks using the base R plotting functions.
Unfortunately, you won't have warpgrids. But you can overlay two (e.g.,
mandible) configurations to show the difference between extremes. Or you can
plot one extreme as the ball-and-stick wireframe and the change to the other
extreme as displacement vectors emanating from the wireframe.

David

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 10:15 AM, Adams, Dean [EEOBS]