[Posted on behalf of Dr. Bookstein]

Dear MorphMetters,

I'm happy to announce that my paper "Reflections on a Biometrics of
Organismal Form" has just been posted for open access by the Springer
journal Biological Theory. You can get a free copy by pointing your browser
at

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__link.springer.com_journal_13752&d=DwIBAg&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=T8Sxf-U51iRHIXQayyjGAA&m=xOGtb5kpXyYsx7O1ZPeSGHSsh8sLGcIwYOsLoNWTC3I&s=wQclw8xhArX7488PAUkyik6iPqlhj-vA5-el7VYzF-E&e=

and clicking on what is, for now, the top entry in the Latest Articles
table on the home page.

This article is a sequel to my 2015 article in Benedikt Hallgrimsson's
journal Evolutionary Biology that introduced the BE-PwV plot as the best
tool for studying integration in GMM data sets. I trace the basic idea here
back nearly a hundred years, not to D'Arcy Thompson but to a
hitherto-untranslated critique of his ideas by the Vivarium group under
Hans Przibram in Vienna arguing that the only valid way that a biologist
should study organismal form is by direct experimental observation of
transformation grids: "Thompson's holistic deformations can be made
comprehensible if we can visualize a space lattice upon the living form, so
as to assess how each little piece changes its shape under conditions that
vary by species. Here lies open a rich, nearly undeveloped field that
invites a mathematization, one whose erection we hope will begin very
soon." But the timing seems to have slipped a bit, namely, by 97 years. The
new paper argues that BE-PwV is exactly the "mathematization" they were
envisioning, which could not be made empirical until the development of
geometric morphometrics, and further that it is the only morphometric
method consistent with the most fundamental fact in all of biology, "the
repetitive production of organized heterogeneity" (Hotchkiss 1958) or, as
Walter Elsasser put it in 1987, "the transfer of information over finite
intervals of time without an intermediate message." For instance, the new
article demonstrates how to recognize a growth-gradient explicitly even in
the presence of unstructured residual variability. I close with a plea that
others help me build the bridge that we need so urgently between the
arithmetic of today's burgeoning image-based data resources and the
rhetoric of biological explanations of organismal form both over evolution
and over development.

As always I welcome all comments on these ideas, enthusiastic or otherwise.

                               Fred Bookstein