Hi all,
let me take advantage of this discussion and quickly add one more question.

I have a similar scenario, in which I want to test if a set of specimens
from one species belong to a separate species ("good species" scenario) or
one already included in the dataset ("junior synonym" scenario).
My problem is that, differently from Nicole, I only have two species, so
when I build the linear model done only with the putative senior synonym it
surely crashes because I ended up with only one level of the factor.

How can I deal with that?

Thank you in advance,
Diogo