There have been a couple of suspicious emails sent to our list with on a
strange URL. The messages do not have a subject.

Do NOT click the link in the message. Just move any message without a
subject to the trash.

I've just put Mosaic into emergency moderation mode.

What this means is that ALL messages will be moderated for the next few
days. This will cause delays in delivery of posts, but is necessary while
this threat is present.

The messages so far have been from AOL'ers witch also leads me to suspect
that the link targets some security issue with this email provider.

The URL in suspect messages seems to be harmless. It will be something like
a name and then a four digit number and then the extension "co.cc" (ex.
kmack 5544 co.cc).

Our list will NEVER deliver a virus to you, but we cannot prevent links
being embedded in messages and then members carelessly clicking on a link.
We do not allow attachments being sent to members.

To review:
1. NEVER on URL's in email unless you are positive of where the link will
go.
2. Be suspicious of any unsolicited message sent to you with just a URL.
3. Emails don't deliver viruses, but clicking on attachments and URL's can
be dangerous.

Be safe my friends. We'll probably be in emergency moderation mode for the
next few days.

Thanks for your patience in this matter.

Keith Mack
Web Administrator for Mosaic List
km...@literacyworkshop.org