Another site for classroom libraries is referenced in this nice "Creating a
Classroom" article on Reading Rockets:
http://www.readingrockets.org/article/29298

The article references the online service at:
http://www.librarything.com/

I have not used this resource, but recalled some conversations with people
that did and really like it.

My caution to educators is to make sure you test any of these referenced
sites and also let your administrator(s) and tech people know what you want
to achieve by using these services.

One more idea that I thought of is to use a classroom blog. I won't go into
links or providers. You could create a blog with you (teacher) as owner and
then create a secondary user (contributor). Students would use the secondary
user/contributor to create book info. Teacher/owner would have to "approve"
all the entries. In blog I would see a teacher setting up various categories
for books.

In a blog like this, you could also allow for "comments" which would include
your students or other that want to add "their voice" to the book into. Of
course, the teacher/owner can set comments so that they must have approval
before being posted on the site. The key idea would be that the teachers
must approve anything before it is posted on the blog.

We run Word Press "MU" (multiple user) for blogs at the
http://www.literacyworkshop.org website . This is "free" software that could
easily be integrated by schools. If you have questions or want help on this
you can email me off-list.

Thanks,

Keith Mack
Web Administrator