As you might have noticed, we've been off emergency moderation for a day or
so.

I would like to again thank everyone for their patience and understanding
during the last week or so while we dealt with spam issues and other
circumstances on the Mosaic list.

Please read the below and understand that I need a place to share my and
(ahem) vent my frustrations.

In the last 12 hours or so we've seen a lot of "individual" conversations on
our list. These are messages asking ONE PERSON for something, asking ONE
PERSON for help, or thanking ONE PERSON for a resource. If we had been on
moderation, most of these messages would have been rejected because they
should have been sent to ONE PERSON. As noted, we are not currently on
moderation.

The key word above is ONE PERSON. Most messages needed ONE PERSON to help
and not 3000+ members to troubleshoot or think about an idea. When on
moderation, I usually reject the ONE PERSON messages and direct the sender
to contact the ONE PERSON.

If you ask the entire membership to help and then 10 members might also
reply to the entire list. If list traffic is unmoderated, we easily have a
spike of 50,000 messages. This WILL BE NOTICED by server spam software and
filters and providers WILL TAKE ACTION.

I personally don't mind the large number of messages. Like many Mosaic
members, I delete these quickly and move on with my life - no worries.

BUT...other providers with their server software packages are watching and
WILL NOTICED the spike in traffic. The problem we have with large numbers of
posts in a short time period is that MSN, HotMail, AOL, and the other "big
boys" *do* wake up and see that a large numbers of messages are being sent
by our server. Their sever software quickly decides that they must stop our
server as it can only be spam.

In recent months these providers essentially "shut down" messages from our
server due to *excessive abuse* (too many messages sent in a short amount of
time to their clients). No messages from our server can get through to
people on "their" server. Mosaic members using these servers are put on
inactive status and then quickly deleted from our membership list because
messages sent to them are "bouncing".

This means that impacted Mosaic members with email accounts provided by the
hosts are severely impacted, but more importantly for me, business clients
that I also host on my server cannot send messages to their contacts. It is
all very arbitrary, unkind, and non-human. But software and no real people
are making these decisions.

This is a HUGE problem for everyone involved - especially me as I am forced
to intervene by trying to find solutions with the "big boys" and for people
paying me money to host their email accounts and businesses. This can take
hours and hours and hours of my time to troubleshoot and I never get to talk
or work with a real, understanding person.

I really, *really*, REALLY don't want to get moderation started again (in
fact I never want to invoke moderation!). I'm asking, nay...*pleading*, that
you think twice before sending a message out to thousands of people (those
of you with mobile devices PLEASE take notice).

Mosaic has probably sent out in excess of 70,000 emails to the entire
membership in the last 18 hours that might have been best served with less
than 12 *individual* messages (not sent from our server). I have to admit
that I might agree with the "big boys" that this is a form of abuse of
resources. Gosh, please, PLEASE be careful when you send a message! Big
Brother IS watching.

The bottom line is that I'm expecting a big provider(s) to block our server
at any time today unless members can show restraint. The other alternative
is that we put Mosaic back on moderation.

I'm begging (on virtual knees) that when you need ONE PERSON to provide a
URL, or access to some resource, or want to be included in ONE PERSON's
distribution, or want to thank ONE PERSON, or want to agree with ONE
PERSON's idea, please do it INDIVIDUALLY and not to the entire list.

As many of you know, I'm a former literacy teacher and really want support
the Mosaic group. This is a powerful community of professions and we all
want it to continue to grow and help teaching and learning.

Please know that I do not benefit financially from the Mosaic list - the
work that Ginger, Jennifer, Laura and I do for this list is entirely
voluntary. There are no corporate offices and no underpaid staff members and
interns involved in providing support for this group.

Everyone's help in this matter would be *deeply* appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith Mack
Web Administrator for Mosaic List
km...@literacyworkshop.org