It would save you a lot of time and you would be able to teach more and not
give the assessments yourself.You will get to know your students as readers
reguardless by listening to them read in any format and conferring with them
about what you notice. Just take notes as you listen to them read. Fountus and
Pinnell testing is taking up way to much time in my district for classroom
teachers along with all the other assessments they are required to give. I know
it feels like you are not getting to know each student as a reader, but it can
be more efficient use of your time, if you bring your notes with you when you
meet to the individuals who give the assessments and compare what you both
notice. I can see bonuses for have the teacher be a part of giving the
assessments and not. You have to make it work which ever way it is done.

Troy Fredde