This summer I am thinking that I need to find a novel that will appeal to my Latino students. I teach two blocks of English and U.S. history. The novels I teach must relate to the time period we are studying in U.S. history. That means I need a novel that takes place between 1500 and 1900. I thought about Spanish Florida, but all I have found are novels about runaway slaves. I cannot find a novel about the Mexican American War from the Mexican perspective. I need a novel appropriate for 8th graders. If any of you have any suggestions, please e-mail me off list. I am pretty ignorant about Latino culture, and this is the fastest growing group in my middle school. If there are books I can read, I'm interested in those also. My Latino students are not solely (or even mostly) from Mexico. Central and South America are also represented. Some are first generation and some are second generation. Thank you,
Jan

Quoting "Palmer, Jennifer" <jennifer.pal...@hcps.org>:
Hello dear colleagues!
We are awaiting reviews from our Stenhouse reviewers...but while we wait...let's talk. What are you thinking about this summer? What are you reading professionally? Looking forward to stirring up a little conversation. Jennifer