it should be possible to substitute another scoring function into MERT, but
as far as i'm aware this has not been done (for Moses).  it would be good to
see this!

(ibm-bleu would be another interesting candidate)

and as for the maximum number of features, your mileage will clearly vary
according to the amount of data etc;  as a rule of thumb i've not seen much
using more than say 14 features

(unlike our large-scale work, which uses millions of features)

Miles

2008/5/8 Jason Katz-Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> (I sent this mail once before, but it bounced because one of MIT's
> mailman servers filled a disk. So I hope this is not a duplicate.)
>
> Hi all,
>
> Has anybody enhanced mert-moses and cmert to allow one to tune for
> maximum NIST score, or to maximize some other metric? If not, I am
> interested in adding this functionality.
>
> Also, could somebody give me an idea of the maximum number of feature
> weights that is feasible to train with the current mert setup?
>
> Thanks,
> Jason

The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in Scotland,
with registration number SC005336.