I took a break from my hummingbird watch to go out to the bog this
afternoon.  I made just a cursory run through, but still found 9 Northern
Hawk Owls and one grouse (which I didn't see long enough to be sure, but it
was probably a Ruffed).  I ran into more birders than owls, though.  It's
thrilling to have so many owls so close, and wonderful to be able to share
the pleasures of northern owls, but the excitement is apparently causing
some people to forget a few rules about owling.  When you first drive up to
an owl, stay in your car for a bit.  Try to photograph from within the car
first so if it does fly off when you get out, you at least have
something.  If you're with a group, it's smarter for the people on the far
side of the car to get out first, or for everyone to slide over and get out
on that side, and stay as a bunch--these northern owls are fairly easy
going and calm around people, but if they have to move their head back and
forth to keep track of more than one grouping, they sometimes feel a bit
besieged and fly off.  Close your car door quietly.  Also, especially if
you're dealing with a Great Gray Owl that is actively hunting, make sure
you turn your car engine off so it can hear mice more easily.

When you see a car pulled over, remember you're not at Yellowstone.  If you
want to stop, stop BEHIND the other car, or beyond it if you're coming from
the other direction, and wait your turn in your car if someone or a group
is photographing or scoping, at least for a reasonable time before getting
out.  If you want to pass, go slowly and don't call out, especially if your
car is between them and the owl.  Never EVER walk between a bird and
someone scoping or photographing it.  If in your exuberance you do cause an
owl or two owls to fly away when someone is right in the middle of trying
to photograph them, there is only one proper thing to say:  "I'm
sorry."  You're going to cause a lot of hard feelings if you say, "There's
plenty more around."  I personally didn't have any trouble at all today,
but talked to two different groups who did and were understandably very upset.

This may well turn out to be the best owl year of our lifetimes, at least
from a birding perspective.  Let's keep it fun and productive for everyone,
and minimize the stress on the birds at the same time.

Laura Erickson
Duluth, MN

NOTE address change: blue...@lauraerickson.com

Producer, "For the Birds" radio program
<http://www.lauraerickson.com/>

There is symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of
birds.  There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of
nature--the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after the winter.

                                 --Rachel Carson