This evening around 5:15 my wife and I found a Summer Tanager at the Kelly
Lakes Unit of the NWR.  It was near the ground in a dried up swampy area acting
like a flycatcher.  We had great looks for a couple of minutes before the bird
flew off and was not relocated.  I marked the spot along the trail with a
bottle and a can that I found along the trail that I placed on a fallen dead
limb about 75 yards from Co. Rd. 40 in the far SE corner of Carver County.
There is a place to park by the gate and walk into the wooded area.  This is on
the west side of the MN River less than a mile North of where MN 25 crosses the
river at Belle Plaine.

On the way home we stopped at the Belle Plaine sewage ponds which are now
marked PRIVATE PROPERTY NO TRESSPASSING.  There were a number of shorebirds
present including a Marbled Godwit and a Hudsonian Godwit feeding side by side,
3 Willets, Dunlin and Stilt Sandpipers.

Bob Williams, Bloomington