We are now up to 30 Northern Hawk Owls reported and again like before the bulk
of the sightings are in northeastern Minnesota.  There are more Great Gray Owl
sightings popping up as we head into the winter months and most of these
reports are coming from the Sax-Zim Bog area, Hedbom Logging Rd ( West of
Floodwood, MN ), Aitkin Co. in the traditional locations along CR 18  and some
reports coming from Lake County.

Gulls:

Here are the following species of gulls that are either currently being seen or
have been seen in the Duluth/Superior areas:

 Great Black-backed Gulls  ( 2 first cycles, 1 2nd cycle and 2 adults )
 Lesser Black-backed Gull ( 1 first cycle and 1 adult )
 Thayer's Gulls ( 10 is the highest count for 1st cycle birds,  1 2nd cycle, 1
3rd cycle and 3-4 adults)
 Iceland Gulls ( 4 is the highest count for 1st cycle birds,  1 adult )
 California Gull ( one 1st cycle )
 Glaucous Gull ( 4 first cycles, 1 2nd cycle and so far no adults reported )
 * Slaty-backed Gull  ( last seen on November 13th at the Superior Entry Way
and could be still around )

I would like to thank Peder Svingen, Karl Bardon, Cameron Rutt and Erik Bruhnke
for all the good times we had this fall season spotting gulls together.

Mike

Mike Hendrickson
Duluth, Minnesota
Website: http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/