The answer to Diana's question is a bit complicated.

The MOU offered MOU data to eBird a few years ago, but the data we collected
was not easily used by them. Similarly, eBird data was not complete enough to
work for the MOU at that time.

Since then, both the MOU and eBird have increased the data fields collected. In
December 2009 Dave Cahlander and I revisited the possibility of importing eBird
data into the MOU database -- eliminating the need for double entry. (The data
flow would only go eBird to MOU, not vice versa, as eBird is not able to make
the other direction work.)

While in some ways this could be a "simple" process today, there are a number
of questions and issues we need to sort out. For example, data submitted to
eBird would not get into the MOU database until about 3 wks after the end of
the season. Currrently, a lot of people use the database to see what others are
reporting right now. We'd lose that ability for any data coming in through
ebird.

In the other extreme, we would never get eBird sightings that were submitted
more than 2 wks after a season's end. While we currently encourage birders to
submit their data that quickly, a fair number of records come in later.

Once we clarify these and all the other issues, we'll report back with what we
can and can't do to make this process smoother for all. If you have any
comments, please send them to me or Dave Cahlander.

Paul

Minneapolis
pbu...@earthlink.net
(da...@cahlander.com)