From: mnbird-boun...@lists.mnbird.net
[mailto:mnbird-boun...@lists.mnbird.net] On Behalf Of Diana Doyle
Sent: Monday, May 16, 2011 11:02 AM
To: MOU-NET@LISTS.UMN.EDU; mnbird
Subject: [mnbird] Ground-feeding warblers

The ground-feeding of canopy warblers under elm trees continues: This
morning Lake Nokomis's sidewalks included large numbers of yellow, palm,
yellow-rumped, tennessee, black-and-white, magnolia, and chestnut-sided
all feeding on the pavement.

Within the past couple of days I've also seen common yellowthroats, cape
may warblers, and even northern waterthrush pavement-feeding.

So this morning I checked where a large flock was feeding. I could see
very tiny oblong gray insects moving on the concrete. They were very
very tiny.

Perhaps this is what the warblers are eating?

Anyone have any ideas what kind of insect they may be? Presumably they
are associated with the elms?

Diana Doyle
S. Minneapolis