Over Memorial Day weekend we went to western Minnesota to bird and survey for
the Breeding Bird Atlas.  We found 120 species in Lac qui Parle, Yellow
Medicine, and Lincoln counties.  Some of the better finds:

Say's Phoebe: Last year's breeding Say's Phoebe returned this year to the 140th
Street bridge over Florida Creek in Yellow Medicine County.  This year we
observed a second Say's Phoebe that lacked the tawny pink belly coloration and
may have been a hybrid from last year's nesting.  I also heard begging calls
from under the bridge, but I did not investigate.

Prothonatary Warbler in SW Lac qui Parle in the same location as last year
(private land).

Red-necked Phalaropes (7) seen on Salt Lake.

Wilson's Phalaropes seen in several locations including a copulating pair.

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher in Lincoln Co.

Great-creasted Flycatcher in both Lincoln and Yellow Medicine.

Trumpeter Swan pair in Lincoln Co.

Other migrants included Swainson's Thrush, Blackpoll, Blackburnian, and
Magnolia Warblers.

We also found a badger guarding its den right on the edge of the road.

Steve Weston on Quigley Lake in Eagan, MN
swest...@comcast.net