From: Minnesota Birds [mailto:MOU-NET@LISTS.UMN.EDU] On Behalf Of Al
Schirmacher
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2012 11:57 AM
To: MOU-NET@LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [mou-net] Responsible to share?

Find myself a bit disturbed today with my MOU brethren.  Believe this topic
warrants a bit of polite, if diverging, discussion.

My position:  if one joins MOU, if one derives benefit from MOU-Net & other
reporting mechanisms, one should share one's sightings as well.

I can understand withholding sensitive sightings, if rare birds are in peril
of disturbance during nesting or roosting.

However, if the rare sighting is of a migrant, vagrant or otherwise not in
peril "good bird", it should be shared for the good of all.  Sharing should
be the default, rather than withholding.

Sharing benefits others in the birding community, whether one looks at such
from an educational, fellowship, mutual pleasure or variety of other
viewpoints.

Why hold back?  Why share too late for others?  Why share with only a few?
I admit, I do not understand.

Frankly I'd like to see a commitment to share be part of MOU membership
and/or subscribing to MOU.

Enough of my rant.  If you respond, publicly or back channel, please do so
with respect, and not naming others.  Please note that I'm sharing no
particulars.

Good birding to all.  Heading to the refuge, will share anything
worthwhile:)

Al Schirmacher
Princeton, MN

Sent from my iPhone