From: Minnesota Birds [mailto:MOU-NET@LISTS.UMN.EDU] On Behalf Of David La
Puma
Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 2:33 PM
To: MOU-NET@LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: [mou-net] Smartphone entry of sightings

Carl et al,

First off, I apologize for those on the MOU list trying to find out about
birds and not caring one bit about this discussion. Feel free to delete this
post now.

I understand the desire to stay relevant, and it sounds like the MOU (hence
the 'et al') has decided that managing these records is somehow key to
maintaining themselves. I do get it. As a scientist though eBird is now the
data source for researching phenomena like climate effects on bird
populations, migration timing, etc. from local to the national (and soon
global) scales. I would love to see MN's records included because otherwise
they're a glaring hole in the dataset which does little to harm the research
but does a great disservice to those trying to manage bird populations
across the Upper Midwest. I'm sure the data you're collecting is extremely
valuable and far exceeds the depth of data that eBird is able to handle.
There are many ways to make your database/application/etc.
function so that the pertinent data can be exported into eBird and there are
going to be many records going into eBird from many people not affiliated
with MOU that I'm sure you're going to want. Just because the MOU didn't say
it, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

So while I can understand your not wanting to adopt eBird (even if I
disagree with it), I'm not going to let you discount my post (which was
actually just an addition to Laura's post, noting the virtual-give-away of
the application) as a 'violation of terms' when in actuality your reasoning
was that you feel threatened by Minnesotans using eBird. I'm happy to share
all of my Minnesota observations with the MOU; I can simply export my eBird
data and send it to you... can your app do that?

Good Birding

David

David A. La Puma
Postdoctoral Research Associate