On the way from my car to the office this morning (Yes, I work on Saturdays
now) I heard an odd bird song and I had to figure out what it was. So I
searched as I continued to listen. I was a bit surprised to find a Robin.

Several things were odd about this bird's song:

1) The song bits were short, somewhat like a call and reminded me in it's
quality but not cadence of a thrasher or mockingbird song. What I heard was
definitely song-like and not one of a Robin's or Mimid's call or alarm
notes.

2) It was pausing for several seconds - like 5 - 10 seconds between short
song phrases and

3) He was singing just part of a Robin-like song, not the whole thing. In
other words, he was doing the beginning and middle but not the end of a
Robin song.

Very curious. Was it just practicing? Was it drunk on berries? Was it a
young bird still learning the typical song?

I have heard a lot of Robins in my day and never one anything like this.
What this bird was doing was definitely beyond a regional dialect variation.

Anyone else have similar experience with this or other species?

--
Sincerely,

Jim Ryan
Saint Paul's Westside
----
One of the first conditions of happiness is that the link between Man and
Nature shall not be broken. -* Leo Tolstoy*

A well governed appetite is the greater part of liberty. - *Lucius Annaeus
Seneca*