Here is a belated post from this past weekend - as I've been out of the
office throughout the past few days.

On Saturday I took a group of Ohio birders throughout northeastern
Minnesota (through Isabella, Two Harbors and Grand Marais). We found a
Great Gray Owl north of Two Harbors, and found Common Goldeneyes & Herring
Gulls in Two Harbors. Common Goldeneyes were seen at Silver Bay, and Common
Goldeneyes plus a drake Red-breasted Merganser were found in Grand Marais.
Pine Grosbeaks were seen just a little west of Isabella. We spent the
afternoon driving through Grand Marais several times, scanning the many
mountain ash trees for Bohemian Waxwings without any luck.

On Sunday the group of Ohio birders and I birded Sax-Zim Bog. We were
treated to three species of owl (northern hawk, great gray, and snowy),
plus an adult Northern Goshawk, vocalizing Black-backed Woodpecker,
Northern Shrike, and other cool birds! We ended the day by watching a Snowy
Owl hunt over Duluth.

eBird list from yesterday's visit to Sax-Zim Bog.

And some photos...

Great Gray Owl
http://www.pbase.com/image/154198558

Snowy Owl from Sax-Zim Bog
http://www.pbase.com/image/154198581

Northern Hawk Owl from Sax-Zim Bog
http://www.pbase.com/image/154198580

Thayer's Gull from Canal Park.
http://www.pbase.com/image/154198582

Good birding,
Erik Bruhnke
Duluth, MN

--
*NATURALLY AVIAN* - Birding Tours and Bird Photography
birdf...@gmail.com (e-mail)