Ron Erpelding and I just returned from a three-day trip to northwest Minnesota.
 While visiting Hayes Lake State Park in Roseau County, we talked to a park
ranger who mentioned that there had been a fire nearby a few months ago.  When
we visited the area, we were delighted to find at least 3 and probably 4
Black-backed Woodpeckers there.

The exact location is along the Thompson Forest Rd about 6 or 7 miles northeast
of the Hayes Lake State Park entrance (where CR4 ends).  We were told several
thousand acres burned, but crews have been working at cleaning out the burned
trees so much of it is already gone.  The area where we found most of the birds
is the first burnt area we came to on the left (northwest) side of Thompson
Forest Road.

The birds were moving around quite a bit, so it was difficult to keep track of
exactly how many BB Woodpeckers there were.  I suspect there are more that we
didn't see.

Herb Dingmann