WESTERN WOOD PEWEE briefly vocalized at Buffalo River State Park at approx.
1025 AM  4 times in about 3 mins, after a 30 minute wait. A Blue-gray
Gnatcatcher vocalized once and was silently foraging at the west edge of the
tract here as well, a bird I hadn't expected up here! On the way out, I
observed a pair of Yellow-billed Cuckoos, one carrying a meal of dragonflies.

I spent the early morning hours wandering around Felton Prairie, seeing skads
of Greater Prairie Chickens, a pair of Gray Partridge, and a few singing Le
Conte's Sparrows. A Loggerhead Shrike was north of the gravel pits and for my
effort working 170th, I scored a Western Kingbird, a single Chestnut-collared
Longspur vocalizing, and a flat tire.

Danny Akers
Spirit Lake, IA