Thirteen birders joined me on a memorable field trip to the state trail off
of Collischan Road near Red Wing. The birds were singing from the tree
tops. The day was still and gray. Ample layers of repellent kept the
mosquitoes for the most part off our skins, but could not muffle the buzz
around our heads. They were tolerable while we moved, but not when we
stopped to try and find a bird. Many birds called but few slowed enough to
allow us to train our binoculars on them. The birding was not exceptional
for the few of us who were fluent in bird song, I hope the others enjoyed
their songs. Notable birds included a vocal pair of Sand Hill Cranes, at
least one definite Cerulean Warbler, a Yellow-billed Cuckoo, Yellow-bellied
Sapsuckers, and Barred Owls. And, then the skies opened and we ran for our
cars.

Notable observation at my home: 3 Dobson Flies, the first ones I have seen
at my place. These monster flies are over an inch and a half long. They are
not uncommon, but they breed in streams and we are miles from the nearest
streams.

Steve Weston
On Quigley Lake in Eagan, MN
swest...@comcast.net