This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, July 13, 2017
sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You may also
hear this report by calling (218)847-5743 or 1-800-433-1888.

True summer weather has been in place this week with the up and down
temperatures, and stormy weather. Many people are busy with storm cleanup,
and /or the local fairs. Birds , too, are very busy bringing up the young,
and now is a good time to confirm nesting when you see the young being fed
by their parents.

Shelley Steva observed a MERLIN  in downtown Thief River Falls, Pennington
County, on July 11 in the courthouse parking lot. Here in the yard east of
the city, I found a nest of baby HOUSE WRENS  in one of our bird houses
yesterday.

The previously reported SAY'S PHOEBE  was re-located at Felton Prairie in
Clay County  by Shawn Goodchild on July 9. The WESTERN WOOD-PEWEE  was seen
that day as well so I think we can say that it may be nesting at Buffalo
River State Park.

In Otter Tail County an ACADIAN FLYCATCHER  was seen at Maplewood SP as
recently as July 10. Various folks have seen the BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT-HERONS,
GREAT EGRETS, and DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANTS  at Grotto Lake in Fergus Falls
this week. Those young birds must be getting close to fledging by now. Aaron
Ludwig found a BLACK-BILLED CUCKOO  at Prairie Wetlands Learning Center on
July 9. A NORTHERN CARDINAL  was seen in Oak Grove Cemetery in Fergus Falls.
At Glendalough SP, there was GREEN HERON, ORCHARD ORIOLE, GOLDEN-WINGED
WARBLER  among others, and at Maplewood SP, SCARLET TANAGER, and BOBOLINK.
Other species seen in Otter Tail County this week included LARK SPARROW,
DICKCISSEL, LE CONTE'S SPARROW, and a SWAINSON'S HAWK  near Rothsay.

Wayne Perala found another "good" bird at the N. Ottawa Impoundment on July
10- a LEAST BITTERN. Still being seen by various folks are the KING RAILS,
COMMON GALLINULE, BLACK-NECKED STILTS, WESTERN KINGBIRD, and a  KRIDER'S
RED-TAILED HAWK.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at ajjop...@mncable.net <mailto:ajjop...@mncable.net>
OR call the Detroit Lakes Chamber's toll free number: 1-800-542-3992.
Detroit Lakes area birders please call 847-9202. Please include the county
where the sighting took place. The next scheduled update of this report is
Thursday, July 20, 2017.

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN