Yesterday morning at Stoney Point, north of Duluth, Annabelle and I came across
many great migrants in this little corner. Most interesting was at least one
Red Crossbill type 4 which we captured an audio recording from. Double checked
with Matt Young of Cornell who confirmed. The bird did not stay long and
continued down the coast after 5 min. This type is usually resident in the
pacific NW and seems quite rare in the east. Matt responded that this is the
3rd report he's received of type 4 east of the Rockies in the past 4 days,
along with other reports of types 2 and 3 (also western Crossbills) that seem
to be moving east currently. I put the recording up on ebird -

Anyone encountering crossbills, especially during potential irruptions, should
be encouraged to try to capture some audio recordings to identify type, as
their ranges and movement are the subject of many studies and the types may not
always be considered the same species as this years crossbill split may signal!
For the uninitiated, there are several good resources available for
distinguishing Red Crossbill types once an audio recording has been made, see
for example - http://ebird.org/content/ebird/news/recrtype/

-
Justin and Annabelle Watts
Hennepin